Nigeria not under threat from ISIS, says DHQ




The defence headquarters says there is no evidence to support the allegation that ISIS has been “sneaking Jihadists into Nigeria from Syria”.

John Agim, acting director of defence information, said this in Abuja on Wednesday.

Agim said if it is true that the militants had been training fighters in Nigeria, proactive measures would  be taken to “nip such development in the bud”.

“It is pertinent to state categorically that there is no concrete evidence on the ground to back the claim,” NAN quoted him to have said.

“The armed forces of Nigeria is aware that there is collaboration between terrorist groups, thus, it is important to note that the activity of one group in a country influences other groups in other countries and because of this knowledge, activities of other terrorist groups usually affect our own military strategy.

“The Nigeria military will continue to condemn all tactics by terrorist groups of isolating the Armed Forces of Nigeria, from any foreign collaboration.”

He assured Nigerians that the armed forces is capable of defending the country.

“Hence, the ill motivated stories, clips and their claims should be disregarded,” he said.


TheCable